Wednesday, November 02, 2005

DON'T YOU WORRY 'BOUT DAT, BABY!

I delivered one box of chipotle Buffalo wings to an old, weathered residence last evening. There was no door bell, so I knocked loudly and waited-longer than normal, prior to knocking again because I thought I heard a voice and it seemed to be getting closer. Finally, the door creaked open and an elderly woman took the small box from my hands. She was wearing an old flowered house-type dress and digging through her pocket book looking for money. After a few seconds, it sounded as if someone had set off a small, muffled, boat horn under the back of her skirt. She mumbled, somewhat absently, "Don't you worry 'bout dat, baby, mm hmm." She kept digging, head down into the bag and let 'er rip once more. Again she mumbled, "don't you worry 'bout dat, baby, mm hmm". All the while, I was thinking, "Mam, I am not worried. I just want to get the money and get out of here before I have to inhale." Finally, she came up with the cash, smiled pleasantly, handed it to me and shut her door.... exact change, no tip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home